The Ellwood House -1999   (12)
Union General Warren's Headquarters (Fifth Corps)
(Ellwood was also involved in the 1863 Chancellorsville Battle)
Wilderness Tavern - 1884   (14)
Remains of the Wilderness Tavern - 2000   (14)
Used as a Confederate field hospital during Chancellorsville
and a staging area for the Union Army during the Wilderness.
Location of Grant's Headquarters   (11)
On May 5, 1864, this knoll was bordered by a second growth of scraggly
pines and scrub oak. From here Grant and Meade could see little of the
battle. Instead, they relied on subordinates to keep them apprised of
the situation at the front. In the evenings the Generals retired to
their camp at the foot of the knoll between here and the Germanna Plank
Road (modern Route 3). Otherwise, they rarely left this spot.
Over the next three days, as the two armies grappled in the deep woods,
Grant and Meade remained at this knoll, sending and receiving dispatches
as they fed troops into the battle.
More than once Meade lost his temper. Outwardly, Grant remained calm,
but his nervous puffing of cigars and whittling of sticks showed that
he too felt the strain.
Source: National Park Service
Grant and Meade waited to see what response, if any, Lee would make to the
Union army on the move.