U. S. CIVIL WAR
Location of the Shiloh Field Hospital
After the Battle of Shiloh, Federal soldiers buried the dead, and medical officers faced the enormous task of caring for the 16,400 wounded. Many were crowded onto steamboats for transport to Northern cities, while others were taken to nearby homes. Some of the wounded received professional medical treatment here.
On this high ground, surrounding the farm house of Noah Cantrell, medical officers of the Union Army of the Ohio set up a large field hospital under canvas. Tents, bedding, and supplies were secured from the infantry camps to accommodate some 2,500 sick and wounded.
Ordinarily, regiments took care of their own wounded. Here was the first consolidated tent hospital --- a forerunner of modern military field hospitals.
Asst. Surgeon Benard J. D. Irwin established and organized the hospital. Union and Confederate soldiers alike were given excellent treatment, considering the lack of supplies, the horrible nature of the wounds, and the great number of patients.
CONFEDERATE DEAD IN TRENCHES
This Trench is the Grave of more than 700 Confederates
Monument at the Trench - Erected 1917
(The red sign post in the background
identifies this as a Confederate grave)
Text on Monument at the Trench
Plaques to the "Unknowns" at the Monument's base.
Another Confederate Trench Grave
Monument at the Trench (Erected 1935)
Because of the warm weather, General Grant ordered the Federal troops to bury the dead immediately. Many were buried in large trenches. Union and Confederate separately.
In the mass grave above (top photograph) more than 700 Confederates soldiers were stacked in layers seven deep.
|Except for the items provided with permission to the author of this Site, this complete Site is Copyright ; 2000 - 2017. All Rights are Reserved. No portion of this site, including this index page and any of the separate pages, may be copied, retransmitted, reposted, duplicated or otherwise used without the express written permission of USA Civil War.com.|