U. S. CIVIL WAR
With the end of the Spotsylvania battle, Grant began moving his forces farther
South, which would eventually result in the
North Anna battle. It was at this
time that he
relocated his headquarters to the Massaponnox Church. (The Church is just off of
U.S. Route 1, about ten miles south of Fredericksburg.)
Union troops surround the Church in the left photograph, above, which was taken May 21, 1864; the right photograph was taken in May 12, 2001.
At about the same time that Grant moved his headquarters to Massaponnox Church,
Burnside established his headquarters at Bethel Church also near Fredericksburg
but farther East than Grant
The left photograph, above, was taken May 23, 1864; the right photograph was taken on May 23, 2001. Note that a large tree blocks the front of the Church when the photograph is taken at the same angle as the 1864 photograph. The photograph below is another view of the Church.
|Except for the items provided with permission to the author of this Site, this complete Site is Copyright ; 2000 - 2017. All Rights are Reserved. No portion of this site, including this index page and any of the separate pages, may be copied, retransmitted, reposted, duplicated or otherwise used without the express written permission of USA Civil War.com.|