U. S. CIVIL WAR
Upper Water Battery - Cumberland River
Upper Water Battery - Different View
The Upper Water Battery was commanded by Captain Reuben R. Ross, CSA. This battery mounted one 6 1/2 inch rifled gun and two 32-pounder Carronades. The guns were manned by a detachment of Ross's battery of Maury Artillery which arrived at Dover on February 11, 1862. First assigned by General Pillow to the left of the line of trenches, the battery responded to a call for volunteers, and Captain Ross's command took charge of these guns and the Columbiad in the Lower Water Battery.
The terms "upper" and "lower" refer to upstream and downstream, not to elevation. The Upper Water Battery is physically lower than the Lower Water Battery.
Lower Water Battery - Cumberland River
Powder Magazine - Lower Water Battery
The original magazine was a one room, double wall building constructed of logs. It was made bombproof by a thick earth covering. The inner space was about 11 feet square. It held 1000 rounds for the guns of the Lower Water Battery. An earthen-wall passageway, called a covered way, connected the gun enplacements and permitted the safe transfer of ammunition to the guns.
|Except for the items provided with permission to the author of this Site, this complete Site is Copyright ; 2000 - 2017. All Rights are Reserved. No portion of this site, including this index page and any of the separate pages, may be copied, retransmitted, reposted, duplicated or otherwise used without the express written permission of USA Civil War.com.|