Of the 266 soldiers buried here, only
two are fully identified.
Heavy fire often kept either side from
claiming the dead, and after both battles
the armies had to maneuver quickly.
Some of the wounded lay for days in
the blistering sun.
After the fighting, burial details dug
shallow, unmarked mass graves. The
process took weeks. Autumn rains
soon washed away the thin cover of
soil, exposing the remains. In 1866,
the United Daughters of the Confederacy
established Groveton Cemetery and
had these remains reinterred here.