Union Flag Carrier U. S. CIVIL WAR
Confederate Flag Carrier


 Marye's House - 



December 13, 1862. The Washington Artillery of New Orleans was posted around the Marye House here on Marye's Heights. Col. J. B. Walton, the commanding officer, had his headquarteers in the house. This unit and Alexander's Reserve Battalion, which relieved it during the afternoon, helped hurl back seven Federal charges. On May 3, 1863, Sedgwick's Federal VI Corps, attempting to join Hooker at Chancellorsville, successfully stormed these heights, only to be defeated at Salem Church, four miles west. During the Wilderness and Spotsylvania operations of May 1864, the Marye House served as a Federal hospital and the wounded lay outside under the trees, one of which, the large oak between you and the house, still stands.
Erected 1958.

United States Department of the Interior     National Park Service


Home > Civil War Photos > Fredericksburg Page 2 > Marye's Heights Sign

Copyright 2004 - 2012 by USACivilWar.com.


19th Century Photographs Notes

USA Civil War Site contains 1,428 Photos, 506 Pages, 113 Maps, 30 Prints.
Photo Info    What's New    FAQ   Civil War Definitions    Site Search    Privacy Statement    Contact Us

Except for the items provided with permission to the author of this Site, this complete Site is Copyright Copyright; 2000 - 2017. All Rights are Reserved. No portion of this site, including this index page and any of the separate pages, may be copied, retransmitted, reposted, duplicated or otherwise used without the express written permission of USA Civil War.com.