CITY POINT, VIRGINIA
U. S. CIVIL WAR
In the text, the icon is a link to the definition of the word it marks.
Use your browser's "back" button to return to this page.
City Point - 1860's
When Ulysses S. Grant began the siege operation against Petersburg
he selected City Point, Virginia, for his headquarters. His
headquarters, initially in a tent, was located on the east lawn of
Dr. Richard Epps'ss home, Appomattox Manor.
City Point, a small port town located at the confluence of the
James and Appomattox Rivers, provided Grant with not only railroad and river
access to various points along the front, but also good transportation and
communication with Fort Monroe, Va. and Washington, D.C.
During the siege, City Point provided prisons for Union
criminals and Confederate P.O.W.'s and was a supply base for the
Union Army. In addition, seven hospitals operated at City Point
during the siege.
Appomattox Manor, 1998
Dr. Richard Eppes'ss Home at City Point.
Grant's Headquarters at Appomattox Manor, City Point.
Grant (center, seated) with his staff in 1864/65 and the same view in
The James River viewed from Grant's Headquarters.
Civil War Photos
> City Point